Brockway Hall is named after William S. Brockway, a local merchant, who, at $250, was the highest bidder on January 1, 1851, for the honor of naming the original college. The state granted a charter to Brockway College on January 29, 1851. Brockway College officially became Ripon College in 1864. Brockway Hall is located on the south side of the Quads, on Thorne Street. It houses Sigma Chi fraternity and Theta Chi fraternity as well as independent male upperclassmen.