Smith Hall, originally known as Middle College or Middle Hall because of its location on the hill between East and West Halls, is the third building to be erected on the Ripon College campus. Smith Hall is on the National Register of Historic Places. It is named for Elisha D. Smith, a Menasha manufacturer and benefactor of the College. On January 7, 1931, the interior of the building was consumed by fire. Rebuilding began immediately. Today, Smith Hall is a main administrative building on campus. It houses the offices of Advancement, Finance, Business and Human Resources, Financial Aid, and Career Services and Constituent Engagement (formerly Alumni and Parent Relations). The Department of Communication maintains classrooms and faculty offices on the upper levels. The Duplicating Department is located on the lower level.